Is Your Baby Car Seat Safe?
Posted February 3, 2013on:
With so many baby car seats to choose from, finding the right one has never been easier. However, a larger selection can also mean a longer comparison process. Fortunately, the more time you put into comparing baby car seats the better chance you have of choosing the right one for your child as well as your budget.
Above all else, you need to consider the safety of a particular car seat. While each and every model has to meet strict standards in order to be sold, you have to choose the appropriate seat for your child’s age group.
On March the 1st 2010, new laws were introduced for child safety in vehicles, to prevent injuries. All children up to the age of seven, must now be fastened into the correct child approved restraint for their age and size. A summary of the changes are outlined below:
- For toddlers younger than 6 months old, they must be placed securely in a rearward facing restraint
- For children aged between 6 months – 4 years, they must be secured in either a forward facing restraint or rear facing restraint.
- For children aged between 4 – 7 years old, they must be placed in either a forward facing child restraint or a booster seat.
- Children younger than 4 years of age, are NOT allowed to travel in the front seat of a vehicle that has 2 or more rows.
- Children between 4 – 7 years of age are NOT allowed to travel in the front seats of a vehicle with 2 or more rows, UNLESS the back seats are all occupied by children under the age of 7 in a proper booster seat of child restraint.
A full summary of changes can be found at the RTA’s website.
Top Baby Car Seats
Typically, baby car seats range in price from $100 to $300. While the most expensive seats are tempting because of the many features that are offered, these are not necessarily the best options on the market.
Before we go any further, it is important to note that the baby car seat that you choose has match the needs and wants of the parent.
Here are three of our top sellers:
1. Zuzu Commander Forward-Facing Car Seat
2. Babylove Ezy Switch Convertible Car Seat
3. Safety 1st Custodian Plus Booster Seat with Air Protect
No matter if you decide on one of these car seats or another, you should always consider the following details:
• Forward or rear facing seat?
• Ease of installation
• Safety reputation
• Durability and design
By focusing on these details, along with the price, it becomes easier to make a decision on which one to buy.
When you purchase a baby car seat that is easy to install and has a good reputation for safety, you will be more comfortable every time you buckle your child in.
Bonus Tip: The most important facet in the safety of a particular seat is based on whether or not it is being used appropriately. You must know how to install the seat as well as the maximum weight limit allowed.